The Maryland State Numismatic Association (MSNA) was founded in 1972 under the leadership of John B. (Burgess) Henry. John envisioned a group, which could function as a central organization Maryland. John traveled through the state talking to club members, coin dealers and coin collectors in general to gauge the possibility of forming such a group.
In late 1971 John held a number of meetings in his home. Enough progress was made that an organizational meeting was held at the Mount Calvary Episcopal Church, at Madison and North Eutaw Streets, Baltimore, Maryland, in February 1972. Approximately 20 people representing 15 clubs met and by the end of that meeting there were definitely a state organization. By the end of the first year MSNA was incorporated.
John B. Henry was elected the first President in mid 1972 and held this office until he stepped down in 1974.
MSNA held its first Educational Seminar on October 7, 1972 at Loyola College. At that time plans were being made to gather the necessary materials for writing and publishing a book on Maryland Bank Notes. This book was finally published in 1996 by The Maryland Historical Society and was titled Money and Banking in Maryland, a brief History of Commercial Banking in the Old Line State, a catalog of Maryland’s Paper Money, 1790-1865.
The first journal, NUMISNOTES (Volume 1, number 1), was issued in the fall of 1972. At that time the membership stood at 136, with 21 of the 24 coin clubs in the state of Maryland belonging to MSNA. Shortly after that issue the title was changed to the Maryland Numismatist.